Sunday, July 5, 2015

Durian Butter Cake

I made a super delicious durian butter cake with a healthy method. I can't wait to share.

I googled some info on what ingredient can be used to substitute butter. It's crazy that 1 butter block that weights 250g is to be included in a 4 eggs 7 inches round butter cake recipe. That's crazily a lot of calories! I'll eat with guilt hanging on every bite. I must do something to it. So, Google, my best friend came handy.

Most sources said applesauce can be used to substitute oil. Some said applesauce cannot replace butter. And some said to be safe, use half butter and half applesauce. I picked the last one. It worked. It is truly delicious and much healthier than the original recipe's. I'll show you comparisons! You'll freak out and think twice or maybe thrice the next time you allow yourself to eat a slice of butter cake, especially if you are in the mid of dieting. Butter cake is no joke but a super high in calories desert to indulge.

I didn't thought of making butter cake, especially during this period when I am on strict calorie diet.. However we managed to buy some really cheap Golden Churn butters. 2 at RM 9.99. How on earth can I prevent myself from buying? In the end, bought 4 blocks. Ah -

Durian Butter Cake 
Self-modified unknown source butter cake recipe 


Supposed to use 7 inches round cake tin but I intentionally used 8 inches round cake tin so that.. I could illusion it to be BIGGER as in large in area than having the slice thick. It actually makes eating difficult when it is thick. The only thing good about being thick is elegance.

Recommended cake tin: 7 inches round tin

INGREDIENTS 
A
4 cold egg yolks (omega's) 288cal
65g homemade unsweetened applesauce (check out recipe HERE) 59.95cal
135g fresh durian flesh (kampung durians) 198cal 
125g salted butter (Golden Churn) 902cal 
200g wheat flour 730cal 

B
4 cold egg whites
50g  white sugar 193.5cal
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar 0cal 

Total: 2371.45 (2371 cal) for the whole cake 
Per serving: 1/8 of the cake = 296cal ; 1/16 of the cake = 148cal 

STEPS

  1. Whisk butter with egg yolk one at a time until well blended. 
  2. Add in applesauce and durian flesh (mashed). Mix well. 
  3. Add in sieved flour and mix well. 
  4. Whisk egg whites till huge bubbles are formed. Add in vinegar and 1/3 of sugar at a time until stiff peak is formed. 
  5. Whisk in 1/3 of egg whites at a time into the egg yolk batter until all egg white is incorporated. Do this gently but make sure everything is well combined. 
  6. Pour cake batter into a paper lined baking tin. Smooth the surface with a spatula. 
  7. Bake for 150 degree Celsius for 40 minutes, 165 degree Celsius for another 15 minutes/until cooked.
  8. Let it cool for 5 minutes and remove cake from the mold to rest on a plate. Remove paper on the sides. 
  9. Ready to be served either warm or cool. Enjoy. 

NOTES
  • I used durian flesh that is really very ripen and mushy. Kampung durians which are yellow in colour. It has natural sweetness with a mild tartness in its flavour.
  • I used a bigger cake tin so that it cooks quicker and have larger surface area. Feel free to use the original size which is 7 inches round cake tin for the best appearance of the cake.
  • This cake is moist and super yummy. Do not expect it to be really sweet due to the fact that I have reduced the sugar from its original recipe by more than half! I have reduced a total of near 100g sugar. My recipe has the sweetness from the applesauce and durians. So, I don't think it is necessary to add that much sugar at all. It tastes just nice, as in really perfect for me. If you think you like crazy sweet stuff, feel free to add more sugar - 


After mixing in the egg whites.


Remember to smooth the surface for pretty surface.


Cooked.
It didn't rise a lot cuz the natural rising agent is the eggs. 
I didn't use baking powder or anything like that to help the cake to rise. 
This cake is quite dense and filling. 


Beautiful cake on doily.


I managed to capture a picture of the cake's interior.
I hope you can see how moist and really yummy it tastes/looks. 
Don't underestimate its taste by its look - cuz it really does taste good, to me.
The durian fiber is still visible there - 
That slice is 1/8 of the cake = 296cal 


Let's take a look at the original's recipe.. 
A
4 cold egg yolks (omega's) 288cal
250g salted butter (Golden Churn) 1804.5cal  
200g wheat flour 730cal 
2 tablespoons of full cream milk powder 150cal  
90g white sugar 348.3cal 

B
4 cold egg whites
70g  white sugar 270.9cal
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar 0cal 

I saved a total of 2371cal (modified) - 3592cal (original) =  - 1220 cal
Each 1/8 slice of cake = 297cal (modified) whereas... 449cal (original) 

You will be amazed after you do the calculations.
At least, I get to have a slice of butter cake without feeling that guilty, comparing to eating the original butter cake recipe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment